Wednesday, May 12, 2010

mother's day crafts and inspiration

Well, my first ever mother's day has come and gone.  It was lovely, though it was filled with traveling to both sides of the family.  Hopefully when the little one gets older, I can spend Mother's Day at home . . in bed.

My Mother's Day gift from my hubby was a pretty little necklace from a website I found in my blog-o-sphere rambles on the interwebs. Beautiful stuff that any mom would love. Mine was a small silver heart stamped with my baby's nickname on it and a pearl suspended on a delicate silver chain.

The Vintage Pearl - http://www.thevintagepearl.com/

And I decided to use this opportunity to get some craftsy stuff done.  So the baby gave a gift to her grandmothers and great grandmothers - pictures in decorated frames.


They were a hit.  And fun to make.  Just some unfinished wood frames from my local craft store, some white acrylic paint, foam stickers, vellum, some rubber stamps and that ever loved embossing gun again!

Though, note to self: when crafting in the wee hours of the morning, make sure one does things right side up!

And just a song from one of my favorite musicians: Ani DiFranco.  I've always admired her guitar playing skills -  and have attempted to tackle learning a few of her songs.  Not an easy task if you've ever seen her play live.

Ani wrote this one about her daughter not long after she was born.  I just think it's lovely.




"present/infant" by Ani DiFranco

lately i've been glaring into mirrors
picking myself apart
you'd think at my age i'd of thought
of something better to do
than making insecurity into a full-time job
making insecurity into an art 
i fear my life will be over
and i will have never lived it unfettered
always glaring into mirrors
mad i don't look better
but now here's this tiny baby
and they say she looks just like me
and she is smiling at me
with that present/infant glee
and i would defend
to the ends of the earth
her perfect right to be
so i'm beginning to see some problems
with the ongoing work of my mind
and i've got myself a new mantra
it says: "don't forget to have a good time"
don't let the sellers of stuff
power enough
to rob you of your grace
love is all over the place
there's nothing wrong with your face
love is all over the place

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails