Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Is Film School for Chumps? The Indie Film Community Talks Back to Monday's NYT Article - indieWIRE

Is Film School for Chumps? The Indie Film Community Talks Back to Monday's NYT Article - indieWIRE

An interesting read. I personally like this quote:


Jonathan Caouette, Director (“Tarnation,” “Walk Away Renee”)
My gosh, this is a weird one for me to answer, because I actually never went to film school at all, ever, although I desired it greatly. I have no experience with film school, nor have I made films in any kind of traditional way or form. I was a video store and movie-going dweeb who was and is still addicted to cinema. Everything I have personally made has been very way-the-hell-outside of any traditional moviemaking boxes, so I cannot really comment [on the value of film school].
(I might be crucified for saying this) but I have to sometimes agree (this could be debatable on a case by case basis), but I do sometimes agree with the old adage, don’t go to film school; just use your money to make a film. On the other hand, I think there are some people that could benefit from it. With the onslaught of new media, and all the competition with that coming at you at machine-gun speed, the film world is like a postmodern Wild West. As Gus Van Sant once said, “There should be no more excuses;” if you want to make a film, make a film. Everything we need to do it is there. As long as you have a good story to tell, and you better have a good story (ha ha…everyone can make a cool-looking film now), your story and what you are doing with it should shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails