For the latest swap for the Harry Potter Craft Group, the swap items were ATC (Artist Trading Cards). I really love these little mini canvases and was super thrilled to take a stab at making an entire book of these cards for my swap partner.
Since this swap was based on book "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," I made up my mind to have the book shaped like Grimmauld Place.
Before opening the book, you have to open an envelope attached which reads :
Inside is the first artist trading card. . .
The back of the card:
So once you read it, open the book, and as in the novel, there magically appears Number 12 Grimmauld Place.
So the work on the TARDIS messenger bag continues . . .
The initial pattern for the bag is fairly simple - but in the spirit of the actual TARDIS being bigger on the inside - I am determined to create more space for the bag's owner. (Alas, this is a gift - I need to make another one for myself soon!) So I went and added a couple of pockets.
My favorite additions I decided to embellish the pockets with some familiar signs.
I found the images of the two signs on the internet and then printed them on iron on transfers. I ironed them onto some white fabric then I stitched it to the pocket.
I created a similar pocket on the back of the bag. As of yet it is unadorned, though I am toying with the idea of putting the recipient's name in Gallifreyan.
Or, I could also put "Sexy" in Gallifreyan (as per the episode "The Doctor's Wife").
Another little detail which I love is that I chose this great outer space cloth to use as the bag's lining.
Once the hand embroidery of the Police Box sign was finally completed, (that took a very very long time!) the next task at hand was to make the front flap of the bag look more like the TARDIS by creating some windows from scratch.
I cut some squares of white fabric I had in my stash and used some interfacing ( how I love that iron on interfacing!) I then used some scraps of my blue denim to make a few rectangles and used them to construct a window frame around my white squares.
Since I was flying by the seat of my pants and creating everything as I went, it took me quite a while to figure out how it would all look.
But once I finished one window, the other wasn't too hard to construct.