Thursday, June 6, 2013

tardis messenger bag - work in progress - part 1

I have been OBSESSED now with a few TARDIS messenger bags that I've seen online.  And I finally bit the bullet and said -  I can make that!

So I started with this pattern:


I decided to make the bag in a lovely royal blue denim.


The hard part has been so far is making the bag look like the TARDIS.  My first decision was how to make the police call box sign.  At first I was contemplating using fabric paint and a freezer paper, but I was worried that it would eventually end up looking messy.  Instead I opted to embroider the sign instead.



I started out typing the words for a sign in Gill Sans and I cut the words out with my trusty Xacto knife. .


Once cut out (which took me so very long) I decided to use it as a stencil and took a white marking pencil to trace out the sign. From there I began hand embroidering the sign.











6 comments:

  1. How much blue material did you need?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate!

    The pattern itself calls for 1 and1/4 yd of fabric for the body of the messenger bag.

    I initially purchased 1 and 1/2 yds of the blue denim ( I like to have extra) but went back for maybe a 1/2 yd more after I decided I wanted to add pockets and lengthen the strap. I still have quite a bit left over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou so much! I love Doctor Who and wanted to make this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your bag - would love to see your finished one as well!

      Feel free to return and post a link to photos of your work!

      Once I'm done with this bag I'll try to remember to post any measurements I had for the TARDIS windows, the police box sign, etc . . .

      Delete
  4. It is complete. http://kateandmidnightscorner.blogspot.com/2013/06/doctor-who-purse.html
    Thank-you again for your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brava! It looks great!

      I agree with you - wasn't the hand embroidering of the sign a bit tedious? But the final look of it when it is done is really very nice!

      I'm still plugging away at mine - I changed the pattern and have been making an adjustable strap. I'm aldo considering putting a zipper closure for the main compartment of the bag and am figuring out how to work that into the existing pattern.

      I finally have half of the lining done too. It takes forever because my toddler only really lets me focus on sewing in the wee hours of the morning after she is in bed for the night!

      I'm hoping to maybe make a TARDIS clutch out of my left over fabric -after I get started on my Clara Oswald cosplay that is!

      Thanks again for sharing the link to your TARDIS bag!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails