Thursday, June 6, 2013

oswin oswald/souffle girl - doctor who cosplay for new york comiccon 2012

My last minute cosplay decision for last year's New York ComicCon was that of Oswin Oswald/Souffle Girl, who made her appearance in the Doctor Who episode: "Asylum of the Daleks."




The first appearance of Jenna Louise Coleman -  the Doctor's next companion after the Ponds -  I really liked Oswin.  She was smart, spunky and gave the Doctor a run for his money.  And hell, that red dress was all sorts of cute.

After a search for a pre-made affordable red dress I could modify the neckline to, I found none that I was happy with.  So a-sewing and pattern searching I went.

I decided upon this pattern to make Oswin's outfit - I chose to use the pattern for dress c with a 3/4 sleeve:



Jo-Ann's Fabrics had a red knit fabric that I was very pleased with.


I then set to trying to reconstruct the items on Oswin's belt.  



I recycled a black belt with a big flat silver buckle on it.  The items I tried to re create from the photo were made out of black felt, hot glue and clay.  I then anded a few items to fill out the belt.  Time was not on my side and it was not exactly screen accurate, but I was pretty pleased.





 Then I tried to make  her watch.  


Finding an actual alternate was just impossible to find, so last minute I fiddled with a bracelet
 and some clay.


 

And, for the hell of it, I just had to make a burnt souffle.  The Whovians get the reference. ;)

 


For a first actual dress that I made it was OK.  I must admit I should have cut the pattern slightly larger. After the fact I had to rip out the side seams and add a small panel on both sides.  THe modification to the neckline gave me a bit of trouble as well.  But all in all, I'm happy with it.  Though I'd re-make the dress and the watch again when I have time -  just to see if I could make them better.

The cosplay was finished out with a brown curly wig and some Levi's red tennis shoes ( I couldn't find red hightops in time.)


Here I am at NYCC - at the Harry Potter Wand Dueling session ( my dueling partner was an Amy Pond cosplayer - ha!  Companion battle!


Me at the Nerdist Industries booth next to a LEGGO Chris Hardwick. (LOVE the Nerdist Podcast!!!!)


And finally I had to hit the Doctor Who booth to take a picture with a Dalek and my burnt souffle.









2 comments:

  1. hello, love! I was just wondering if you lined your dress at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I was in such a rush to finish the dress in time for NYCC, I did not.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails