Saturday, January 25, 2014

from the vault - poetry - "ode to a woman"

Another little something from a long time ago . .

I wrote this in college, after thinking about what some of us do as women: obsession with body image, and the need to be thin and perfect.  Hell, I've been there plenty of times.

ode to a woman

woman
you are a curve
of hip and thigh
of breast and buttock
lush, plush and fertile
perfume of lips and
eyes and ears
of fingers that caress
cradle and hold
sticks and stones are not soft
they are sharp, hard and
unwelcoming
you’ll cut me
hurt me
harm me
light like chaff
to blow away on the wind
goodbye
why are we wasting away
disappearing
turning to fallow fields
slipping into oblivion
where will the children suckle
when bosoms are empty
where will i hold you
when there is no curve to rest my arm in
to draw
you near
you fade like mist
like fog
in the morning
transparent
then
gone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails