The first one I attempted was by using this pattern from Michaels:
This yarn, though very soft and adorable, was problematic - at least for me. I kept dropping stitches, and when I did it was difficult finding where to get those stitches again, because of the way the yarn fell. I also kept geting the yarn tangled up in knots, no matter how I kept rewinding it.
The finished product was nice, but I vowed to never make anything with similar yarn unless it was something not as big, like a scarf. (Since then, I have made 2 scarves with this type of yarn, and they both turned out beautifully.)
My other blankets I made were flannel receiving blankets I made from scratch.
I had purchased this book a long time ago, and finally decided to try it out.:
Here are some photos of the blankets in progress.
OK . . so I didn't go too crazy and just did a basic edging around the blankets - I was, as usual, strapped for time. I recently picked up some flannel for a couple of other baby blankets - and will give it another go soon.
Here are other interesting tutorials I found online, that I might try in the future: