Thursday, February 27, 2014

nycc 2013- whovian cosplay - clara oswald - the snowmen - part 3

More Frankenstein-ing to be had.  Let's talk about the overskirt.

Since I really liked the fullness of this skirt pattern,  I maintained the waistband and 
main body of the skirt for the overskirt of Clara's dress.


However, I liked the height of the ruffled edge of this dress. 

So I used that part of this pattern.  Does that make any sense?


Since the circumference of the hem  between the two patterns was a bit different (and I had extra fabric), I cut extra to make more of the pleated hem.





I did find out that polyester does not take ironed in pleats as well as taffeta.  
Boo.  
The skirt ended up with a more ruffled look, but I was OK with it.


And I did not anticipate how heavy the three tiers of ruffles made the skirt as well.

Here are the three tiers down with the waist gathered and pinned to the dress form.




You can see with the top tier of ruffles/pleats, I used the selvedge to mimic the raw edging on Clara's dress.





A gratuitous shot of my daughter who wanted to have her picture taken by the red dress.



And a finished overskirt with the waistband.  

See the petticoat peeking out of the top? 

Alas, I had thought I needed a bit of extra space since it was to go over another skirt.  
I over estimated a bit, and the weight of the skirt again pulled it down, hence the gap. 

This is hidden by the bodice/apron and bustle so I was OK with it.


And that "Out of Order sign?" 
That's part of another NYCC 2013 cosplay.  
More posts about that later!





nycc 2013- whovian cosplay - clara oswald - the snowmen - part 2

After wrestling my dress form into my corset (which was a hilarious ordeal in and of itself),
I began first with the taffeta which I initially meant to be the overskirt.

Eventually this became the petticoat.

This was the pattern I used.



The main body of the skirt, gathered at the waist and pinned directly to the dress form and corset.




Pleating was a challenge.  Much measuring, pinning and ironing was done.
But the taffeta took the pleats very well, I must say.    That part I was very pleased about.

As you could see, I added two layers of these pleats for the petticoat.




Here are the two layers of pleating.  

Looking back, I think I could have spaced the two layers of pleats a bit wider apart. 

This, besides the color when compared to the bodice fabric was one of the leading factors to me deciding to make this a petticoat.

Here is a fascinating article from Historical Sewing regarding calculating ruffles for height differences.  Alas, posted after NYCC2013.  I think I could have used this.

Also, I think I may want to invest in one of those pleater contraptions for any future pleating jobs.




And with the finished waistband.





Wednesday, February 26, 2014

nycc 2013- whovian cosplay - clara oswald - the snowmen - part 1

Here are a series of posts that many folks have been waiting for.

My NYCC cosplay for Clara's red barmaid dress from the 2012 Doctor Who Christmas Special - The Snowmen.

Here were my source photos

  








**********

The fabrics I used

For the bodice, apron and bustle: a burgundy upholstery fabric from Jo Ann’s



For the petticoat:   a red/burgundy taffeta in Bordeaux.  

This was originally supposed to be for the over skirt, but I felt in certain lights, it did not go well with the bodice fabric and some yarn I found to knit the shawl with.  So after constructing it, I opted to keep it instead as a petticoat.



For the overskirt: burgundy polyester in Biking Red.

Yes. . .I know before some of you cry foul!  Polyester!  Sacrilege!  
Understand, I was on a strict budget and was actually trying to match the color  of the bodice/apron/bustle and find a fabric that would not wrinkle so bad.  It needed to withstand a day at NYCC.


The lining for the bodice, apron and bustle only: Biking Red Ambiance Lining




**********

Repurposed cosplay items

Bustle Pad

A bustle pad I made for my Steampunk Corsair cosplay from last year.  
http://kfsfindingmyway.blogspot.com/search/label/The%20Corsair




To make this bustle pad, I used directions from this wonderful blog:
Steam Ingenious:  How to Make a Bustle Pad and Why You Should

I made my own pattern, using her description/directions but note that at the end of her post, she does have patterns for 3 different types of bustle pads that she sells if you'd rather an pre-made pattern.


Corset

Because I did not have time to make new ones from scratch, this was a corset I use and purchased from Casta Diva’s booth at The NY Renaissance Faire - http://corsetscastadiva.com/index.html



ALTERNATES

Should you want to make a corset from scratch, I was planning on perhaps trying any of these had I the time to do so:



OR



OR

And, even though this is a modern alternative, I was also looking at this corset and even petticoat patterns as a possibility for this cosplay.





**********

Patterns I used for this cosplay

OK, full disclosure here.  

If you are looking for something more authentic, 

was a  great source of tips and inspiration for me while making this dress.  

However, I was on a tight budget.
So when my local JoAnn's Fabrics had a Simplicity pattern sale (5 patterns for $5.00),  
I had to jump on that bandwagon. 

So I basically "frankenstein-ed" myself a dress - as the woman at the cutting table described it.

So what you will find below are the patterns I took pieces of to create the costume.


For the bodice




For the apron, bustle and skirt




For the petticoat and skirt




For the sleeves






More posts and photos to come!








Related Posts with Thumbnails