Thursday, February 27, 2014

nycc 2013- whovian cosplay - clara oswald - the snowmen - part 3

More Frankenstein-ing to be had.  Let's talk about the overskirt.

Since I really liked the fullness of this skirt pattern,  I maintained the waistband and 
main body of the skirt for the overskirt of Clara's dress.


However, I liked the height of the ruffled edge of this dress. 

So I used that part of this pattern.  Does that make any sense?


Since the circumference of the hem  between the two patterns was a bit different (and I had extra fabric), I cut extra to make more of the pleated hem.





I did find out that polyester does not take ironed in pleats as well as taffeta.  
Boo.  
The skirt ended up with a more ruffled look, but I was OK with it.


And I did not anticipate how heavy the three tiers of ruffles made the skirt as well.

Here are the three tiers down with the waist gathered and pinned to the dress form.




You can see with the top tier of ruffles/pleats, I used the selvedge to mimic the raw edging on Clara's dress.





A gratuitous shot of my daughter who wanted to have her picture taken by the red dress.



And a finished overskirt with the waistband.  

See the petticoat peeking out of the top? 

Alas, I had thought I needed a bit of extra space since it was to go over another skirt.  
I over estimated a bit, and the weight of the skirt again pulled it down, hence the gap. 

This is hidden by the bodice/apron and bustle so I was OK with it.


And that "Out of Order sign?" 
That's part of another NYCC 2013 cosplay.  
More posts about that later!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails