Tuesday, July 29, 2014

3d printed makeup - brilliant!

Talk about being creative.

Seriously, not kidding.  This brilliant young woman has figured out how to do this.

I don't really wear alot of makeup, but it's quite amazing how it's done.

A Harvard Woman Figured Out How To 3D Print Makeup From Any Home Computer, And The Demo Is Mindblowing



Monday, July 14, 2014

make a wish - geekcrafting for samantha - hermione granger's beaded bag (part 3 - plotting the drawstring and bottom of bag)

After my first round of embroidery, I decided to tackle the placement of the drawstring  (as well as the bottom of the bag) before I started doing any of the beading.)

I decided upon having the drawstring channel about 2 inches or so down from the opening of the bag.

A friend suggested that I use my sewing machine to make a basting stitch as a guideline for the top and bottom of my drawstring channel.

Fabulous idea, but alas!  My machine couldn't really do it -  so a handsewn task it was!

I first mocked up a number of circles and once I found the sizes that I was happy with, I pinned them in their appropriate areas.

(You can see the smallest circle for the bottom of the bag underneath the larger circle I used as a template.)

Once my larger circle was in place I hand basted around the circumference -  thereby marking the bottom of my drawstring channel.


I removed the larger circle and then pinned the cord I had chosen right above the basting stitch.

I then basted another row of stitches above the cord.

I repeated this once again: I pinned the cord above the basting stitch I just had sewn and basted another row above that pinned cord.

Knowing that I planned to have two lengths of cords ( initially two drawstrings) in this channel,  I wanted to make sure there would be ample room to accommodate them.

Of course, there probably is an easier way of doing this - but I didn't want to mess up with any measuring calculations, so this seemed easier for me.

***Note: I found the cord in the home fabrics section of JoAnn's.  There was a section of trims and the cord was purchased there.  I matched my blue embroidery thread to the shade closest to this cord.






Once the drawstring channel was set, I went about hand basting a stitch around the circle template I pinned down for the bottom of the bag.

Here are the finished basting stitches.




In my mind, I did not want to bead on top of the drawstring channel, in the event that continual use of the bag (opening and closing) might wear away the threads holding the beads on.


Also, I felt that I needed to see where everything would eventually end up, so I could stop beading a little above and below my guidelines, in order to give the foot on my sewing machine enough space to clear when sewing the bag together.

Make sense?

If you want to read more on construction of Hermione's beaded bag, you can click here.

More to come!

Saturday, July 12, 2014

make a wish - geekcrafting for samantha - hermione granger's beaded bag (part 2 - embroidery)


I really haven't been blogging much.  To be honest, life has been getting in the way.  

Besides various items for Ellie's last few weeks of school, I've still been working like a fiend on Hermione's bag.

Now, as with my TARDIS messenger bag, I could not find any instructions anywhere as to exactly how to make Herminone's bag.  

So, I studied as many photos I could find on the internet, as well as taking a look at this youtube review of the Noble Collection's bag.



I've had to make copious notes, as this whole project has been a big exercise in trial and error.
(You can see some of them below)

 



Here are the colors of the threads I used to embroider and bead the bag.:


For the ends of the drawstrings:

DMC E301 (Light Effects Copper)
DMC E436 (Light Effects Golden Oak)

For the body of the bag

DMC 407 (Desert Sand)
DMC 809 (Delft Blue)
DMC 154 (Dark Grape)

Gutermann metallic thread 9990 (Gold)
Gutermann metallic thread 1000 (Black)



My initial template for the bag had me divide a circle into 8 triangle shaped / pie shaped sections.  

Four of these sections were cut out of purple velvet.  Two were of cut from a light purple satin, the last two of a dark purple satin.


My embroidery notes



I decided that for the seams in-between the sections that were sewn together were going to be embroidered with a chain stitch in blue.  Each separate chain stitch would be separated by a straight stitch in peach/desert sand.


In the center of each velvet section,  I embroidered a strip in a feather stitch in blue.


In the center of the other satin sections I embroidered a chain stitch in peach/desert sand.  Each chain stitch was then separated by a straight stitch in blue.

Hope these other photos help illustrate what I've tried to explain.





I was a little apprehensive in my ability to embroider in a straight line, so for the sections of embroidery that did not fall upon a seam, I decided to provide a little assistance by using a basting stitch to delineate the areas I had to embroider in.  It was such a great help!








Related Posts with Thumbnails