Thursday, February 27, 2014

nycc 2013- whovian cosplay - clara oswald - the snowmen - part 3

More Frankenstein-ing to be had.  Let's talk about the overskirt.

Since I really liked the fullness of this skirt pattern,  I maintained the waistband and 
main body of the skirt for the overskirt of Clara's dress.


However, I liked the height of the ruffled edge of this dress. 

So I used that part of this pattern.  Does that make any sense?


Since the circumference of the hem  between the two patterns was a bit different (and I had extra fabric), I cut extra to make more of the pleated hem.





I did find out that polyester does not take ironed in pleats as well as taffeta.  
Boo.  
The skirt ended up with a more ruffled look, but I was OK with it.


And I did not anticipate how heavy the three tiers of ruffles made the skirt as well.

Here are the three tiers down with the waist gathered and pinned to the dress form.




You can see with the top tier of ruffles/pleats, I used the selvedge to mimic the raw edging on Clara's dress.





A gratuitous shot of my daughter who wanted to have her picture taken by the red dress.



And a finished overskirt with the waistband.  

See the petticoat peeking out of the top? 

Alas, I had thought I needed a bit of extra space since it was to go over another skirt.  
I over estimated a bit, and the weight of the skirt again pulled it down, hence the gap. 

This is hidden by the bodice/apron and bustle so I was OK with it.


And that "Out of Order sign?" 
That's part of another NYCC 2013 cosplay.  
More posts about that later!





nycc 2013- whovian cosplay - clara oswald - the snowmen - part 2

After wrestling my dress form into my corset (which was a hilarious ordeal in and of itself),
I began first with the taffeta which I initially meant to be the overskirt.

Eventually this became the petticoat.

This was the pattern I used.



The main body of the skirt, gathered at the waist and pinned directly to the dress form and corset.




Pleating was a challenge.  Much measuring, pinning and ironing was done.
But the taffeta took the pleats very well, I must say.    That part I was very pleased about.

As you could see, I added two layers of these pleats for the petticoat.




Here are the two layers of pleating.  

Looking back, I think I could have spaced the two layers of pleats a bit wider apart. 

This, besides the color when compared to the bodice fabric was one of the leading factors to me deciding to make this a petticoat.

Here is a fascinating article from Historical Sewing regarding calculating ruffles for height differences.  Alas, posted after NYCC2013.  I think I could have used this.

Also, I think I may want to invest in one of those pleater contraptions for any future pleating jobs.




And with the finished waistband.





Related Posts with Thumbnails