Saturday, July 12, 2014

make a wish - geekcrafting for samantha - hermione granger's beaded bag (part 2 - embroidery)


I really haven't been blogging much.  To be honest, life has been getting in the way.  

Besides various items for Ellie's last few weeks of school, I've still been working like a fiend on Hermione's bag.

Now, as with my TARDIS messenger bag, I could not find any instructions anywhere as to exactly how to make Herminone's bag.  

So, I studied as many photos I could find on the internet, as well as taking a look at this youtube review of the Noble Collection's bag.



I've had to make copious notes, as this whole project has been a big exercise in trial and error.
(You can see some of them below)

 



Here are the colors of the threads I used to embroider and bead the bag.:


For the ends of the drawstrings:

DMC E301 (Light Effects Copper)
DMC E436 (Light Effects Golden Oak)

For the body of the bag

DMC 407 (Desert Sand)
DMC 809 (Delft Blue)
DMC 154 (Dark Grape)

Gutermann metallic thread 9990 (Gold)
Gutermann metallic thread 1000 (Black)



My initial template for the bag had me divide a circle into 8 triangle shaped / pie shaped sections.  

Four of these sections were cut out of purple velvet.  Two were of cut from a light purple satin, the last two of a dark purple satin.


My embroidery notes



I decided that for the seams in-between the sections that were sewn together were going to be embroidered with a chain stitch in blue.  Each separate chain stitch would be separated by a straight stitch in peach/desert sand.


In the center of each velvet section,  I embroidered a strip in a feather stitch in blue.


In the center of the other satin sections I embroidered a chain stitch in peach/desert sand.  Each chain stitch was then separated by a straight stitch in blue.

Hope these other photos help illustrate what I've tried to explain.





I was a little apprehensive in my ability to embroider in a straight line, so for the sections of embroidery that did not fall upon a seam, I decided to provide a little assistance by using a basting stitch to delineate the areas I had to embroider in.  It was such a great help!








Related Posts with Thumbnails