tardis messenger bag - work in progress - part 4
Next in the TARDIS messenger bag process that I had been working besides finishing up the lining were 2 new additions/modifications to the pattern.
1.) Changing the existing strap to an adjustable one. I found a few good tutorials on line here and here.
My main problem was that my strap (which was already sewn) was too wide for the few slider rings and O-rings I found at my local JoAnn's Fabrics. My solution was to instead use 2 cloth covered belt buckles in their place. Another local fabric store had a couple of these buckles on hand that I was able to cover with some extra fabric leftover after I had cut out my pattern.
I think both lining and adjustable strap turned out OK.
2.) The second issue for me was the matter of adding a zipper to close the bag's main compartment. There was no closure of any kind included into the original pattern.
Maybe it's because I'm paranoid about pickpockets, but I had to figure out how to add a zipper to this thing to keep the owner's personal items safe when using the bag.
I cranked out (one of my now favorite sewing items) - my Dritz Easy Hem Gauge and easily pressed 4 rectangles of cloth to stitch onto the bag opening to enclose the zipper.
I pinned it in first to see if it fit OK.
Another plus: I also learned how to use the zipper foot which came with my sewing machine!
If you are curious to see the work in progress posts for the TARDIS Messenger Bag make sure to click here!